A Message For Friends and Family (show this to your loved ones if you think it will help them)
Your support means an incredible amount to a sick person. It can literally mean the difference between recovery and remaining unwell. That sense of hope that comes from being supported, and being understood, is incredibly powerful. I know it can be hard to be there for someone who is unwell. Sometimes they can shut you out, sometimes they have to drop plans at the last minute, it can be scary seeing someone you care about so unwell. You have to be there for them anyway. It doesn't matter if it's hard. They need you.
Ways you can be there for someone you car about:
- Ask them what you can do to help
- Ask questions if you don't know what is going on
- Read some information about there illness
- Don't avoid the topic of illness, but also don't dwell on it. Ask your friend how they are feeling, and they will decide whether they won't to speak about their illness or just have a chat
- Remember that they still want to have fun, they are still the same person. Don't be afraid of talking with them. Start a conversation in the same way as you would have before they were ill
Something that is also really important is that you care for yourself. Make sure you are taking time out to do something for yourself. Talk to someone if you are struggling with what your loved one is going through.
Having friends and family who are there for you is so important.